Monday, November 27, 2006

well met

saturday after a night of partying at sway for a friends birthday, i decided to head the the metropolitan museum of art. or heaven as i like to call it. surprisingly enough, the most magical place in new york wasn't as insanely crowded as i though it would be thanksgiving weekend. i spent most of my time saturday in the european paintings and the american wing. surat, goya, vermeer, valazquez, rembrandt, sargent, courbet.. and on and on. beautiful and overwhelming, the met is a truly singular place. there is so much to see that it sometimes makes me a bit anxious. i want to see it all. so i usually start at one of my favorite paintings, joan of arc by jules bastian-lepage. she is beautiful and i love her. my heart flutters as i walk past the rodin's and approach... eye on the prize. after paying homage i wander. flowing until something catches my eye.
the most miraculous moments for me are when you turn a corner or walk down the stairs and for a second there are no people and only silence. you are alone with all these great and ancient works. it is truly spectacular. almost spiritual.

No comments: